Friday, September 21, 2018

Characters: The story of Gnome Bard Bassalt (Pathfinder)



To be fair, I had less inspiration to write something today, so I’m just going to tell something about a character I played in a Pathfinder West Marches game. I’m most often DMing, so I have only a few characters that I played and I really liked to play a Bard that time. I would like to use this space today to tell something about my preparation and the execution of my Bard.

First of all, regarding the preparation, I had a lot of time and I’ve decided that it would be fun if my bard would actually perform when he would inspire others or cast a spell. I wrote one short poem per spell/ability and changed them between the sessions whenever I had used them. It was haphazardly done, I didn’t spend a lot of time on these poems, so they were not great, but just the idea that someone prepared them, was enjoyable to the other players and to me.
Next to that I did a poetic write-up of the session every time. I had to write them in the toilet breaks at the end of the session, but I really liked doing it. They turned out quite okay.
Third and last, I ended up changing the history of the setting by introducing characters in my ‘folk songs’ that were integrated into the story, which was very cool for me and I really liked about the DMs of this West Marches campaign.

So I guess I just want to say, if you have time to prepare a character like a Bard with a bit of song or poetic influences, it is very cool and inspiring within the game and outside the game. I can definitely recommend it and if you have a nice DM, you can maybe even integrate some of your songs in the history of the lands.   

I’ll post some of my poems underneath:

Cure Light Wounds:

My song and touch
Will cure light pains
Let me heal you
Before you feint
You’ll feel better
In no time
And rejoin battle
As you feel fine!

Cause Fear:

Fear strikes your bones
I frighten and I urge
You to flee, I purge
The lands of your blood
And throne
Begone fiend!

Inspire courage:

O heroes of these lands
My acquaintances and friends
Go into battle with much strength
We will overcome and survive
And return home rich and alive!

Fascinate:

Oh look into my eyes,
Listen to my song
I am so right
I could never be wrong
You won’t notice a thing
This fascination will take long

Countersong:

Hear my song, my mighty allies
Head my call, you hero of now
Don’t listen to this magic
Don’t listen to your doom
Before you turn into a grazing cow

Discern North:

The poles, where art thou
The north is what I’m searching for
To know where I am in this world
Could anyone want some more?

Daze:

You mighty foe, be dazed
Or may your home be razed
By gods
By evil
Smitten to death
And all your family caged.

Mage hand:

Telekenisis is what I do
I can move 5 pounds of weight
I float, I throw, I get
And if you want something on your head
That’s also okay, mate

Read magic:

I’m reading magic
and singing while reading
is highly distracting
It’s like a beating
Without the pain.

The Ring of Eldrahel:

"There was once a paladin
A knight armored in gold
His name carried prophecy
As the elders foretold
His name was king Eldrahel
His elven eyes were cold
But his heart was the warmest
A pleasure to behold.

Eldrahel owned
A magical ring
And when a goblin came
The item did sing
Goblin blood came upon
The gold and silver thing
It would never stop
No sleep got the king

The king threw the magic
In a volcano at night
After the last war in
which he did fight
And he fell asleep
With a deep sigh
For king Eldrahel
Knew that sleep gave him might."


No comments:

Post a Comment