Friday, August 31, 2018

One-Shot Review: Ultraviolet Grasslands



A few weeks ago, when I was on vacation with friends, we played a long one-shot. It took about 8 hours and when we finished the story was almost over, but not completely. It all took place in the Ultraviolet Grasslands, which is a pointcrawl and setting by Luka Rejec of WizardThiefFighter. I am backing his Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/wizardthieffighter/overview ) and it was nice to play the setting instead of only reading it. The system we used was made out of Luka’s blogposts put together (at http://wizardthieffighter.blogspot.com/p/wtf-house-rules.html ) and the three characters were a martial arts priest (fighter), a cowboy (thief) and a pictomancer (wizard).

We decided on going for an assassination of a Porcelain Prince in the Potsherd Crater. That would be doable, I thought, in the timeframe we had.

I will now list things with bullet-points:
Things the players liked:
·        The setting of Ultraviolet Grasslands
o   The cat theme of the Violet City
o   The drugs theme throughout
o   The idea of porcelain golem bodies to try and be immortal
·        The barber set the cowboy (Burt) got at the start. He used it to kill a shady NPC adventurer.
·        The inn where they killed the adventurer, hired another and got information out of a third.

Things the players didn’t like:
·         My combat was way too easy. Part because I had planned three combat encounters but we only finished one. Part because I didn’t used my own rule set for creating the encounter.
·         The wizard saw ghosts because of drugs and was clueless what to do. I should have given more information, or phrased it in a better way.
·         That the one-shot took so long. I wasn’t sure how long travelling would take, so I cut down on the last travel encounter and that was breaking immersion.

Things I, as DM, liked:
·         The whole setting of the game and the idea of travelling long, reaching steppes. Also the easy way I could adjust or improvise in it.
·         The pictomancer who could create his own spells by drawing.
·         I enjoyed an encounter with a shaman who gave them drugs to learn from spirits. They didn’t learn anything, but I liked the roleplay.
·         Using rolling tables, which I’m not used too, during the game.

Things I didn’t like:
·         Noting supplies is nice for a campaign, but was a bit much for this one-shot. It made them think, though.
·         That my combat was way too easy. I have to up my game and actually use the encounter rules that I love, especially with timers.
·         The hedge maze that blocked them from entering the mansion of the Prince, was not detailed enough and overcome quite easily. They said it felt the most game-y part of the game and I agree.

In the end I really did like the setting and I can only encourage you to buy it when it comes out. On the Patreon of WizardThiefFighter the writing on Ultraviolet Grassland has finished since yesterday. I hope Luka’s system rules will be published and edited somewhat later too, because there seemed to be interesting ideas in it.

I enjoyed the game. I improvised a lot actually and learned more about DMing and running such games. I’m also working on my voices (got a compliment about that), but I need to seriously get tougher in doing combat.

Here’s Luka’s current blog/site to end this post: https://www.wizardthieffighter.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment